KRQE Channel 13 News talks about the ins and outs of getting a hot air balloon ride from Balloon Fiesta Park during the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta®.
Big News About Balloon Rides in Albuquerque – Phoenix – Scottsdale
Stay up to date on hot air ballooning in Albuquerque and Phoenix / Scottsdale. Get notified by email with each new post…subscribe to our Balloon Rides Blog!
Nothing rivals the power of the mass ascension from Balloon Fiesta® Park during the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta®, the World’s Largest Balloon Event. Below we have laid out the distinction between flights launching from Balloon Fiesta Park at the Balloon Fiesta® with Rainbow Ryders Inc. and flights launching from the Westside of Albuquerque.
Join Rainbow Ryders and its local expertise to experience and be part of the Fiesta instead of watching from 5-10 miles away!
What you experience when flying from Balloon Fiesta® Park with Rainbow Ryders!
- Early Check-In time – assisting in the avoidance of heavy traffic.
- With only one flight daily from the park – Your flight is the priority of our pilots and crew, leaving you with a more personalized, interactive and safe experience.
- Launching over tens of thousands of cheering spectators below, you are the star of the show.
- Enjoying your hour-long flight amongst 500+ balloons of all shapes and sizes.
- Flying with FAA certified commercial pilots with thousands of combined flight hours and years of Balloon Fiesta® flying experience.
- Flying with an Albuquerque-based company established over 31 years ago.
- Flying with the only and official balloon ride operator of the AIBF 15 years running.
- Launching with the impressive Sandia Mountains as your backdrop.
- Experiencing local vendors and events around the park before and after your flight.
What you get from flights lifting off outside of the park
- A distant view of Balloon Fiesta® park, taking pictures into the sun, almost eliminating photo opportunities of the Fiesta
- A launch site with a minimum 4 mile distance from the Balloon Fiesta.
- The potential to fly with a company not based in New Mexico. 50% of companies flying from the Westside are not local New Mexico Companies.
- Doing 2 hops or more a morning. A hop is when passengers are loaded into the balloon for the first ride, and the 2nd hop gets into the chase vehicle to chase down the balloon. When it lands 30-45 minutes later the folks in the chase vehicle get into the balloon, change propane tanks and it takes off again. You could be 10 miles or further away from the Fiesta at this point. Then the second hop group takes off for their flight. At this point of the morning weather conditions are becoming more unstable and most likely will shorten this groups flight time. All this gives you less of a personalized experience and less flight time, 45 minutes max. You have missed the sight of the mass ascension in the distance and you are launching from a further distance from the park than the first flight.
- No Bathroom facilities or concessionaires.
- No other balloon ride companies are registered to fly in Balloon Fiesta airspace, so there’s the possibility of having your flight shortened or cancelled due to wind direction.
The qualifications to fly at the Balloon Fiesta®:
- FAA approved Commercial pilots with 1000’s of hours of experience.
- Verified FAA Equipment maintenance and annuals.
- Fully licensed and insured for all balloons and vehicles, the highest in the country.
- All RRI pilots have flown at the Fiesta and in the Albuquerque area for decades with over 75,000 hours of flight experience in balloons combined.
Our proven 31 years of experience is why the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta® has chosen Rainbow Ryders, Inc. 15 years in a row as the Official Balloon Ride Operator at the event!
Flying out of Balloon Fiesta Park during Balloon Fiesta®, with Rainbow Ryders Inc. is the only TRUE way to experience the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta®. #NMTRUE #RR1983.
KRQE covers the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta:
“Here with what we can expect when we look up during fiesta week is Scott Appleman, president and CEO of Rainbow Ryders and members of Phi Gamma Delta, Joseph Corazzi and Jeff Rider.”
In addition to flying corporate balloons for Intel, Dos Equis, Santa Ana Star Casino and KOB-TV, Rainbow Ryders Hot Air Balloon Co. will unveil the new Phi Gamma Delta (Fiji) Black Diamond Balloon at the 2014 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.
The Fiji Balloon, presented by the Albuquerque, NM FIJI Graduate Chapter of Phi Gamma Delta, is being used to promote Greek life nationwide. The 135 national Fiji chapters have initiated more than 170,000 members since its founding in 1848 including famous members from all walks of life such as the 30th United Sates President Calvin Coolidge, current NIKE Corporation CEO and founder Phil Knight, and Pro Golfer Jack Nicklaus. The N.M. Graduate organization plans on taking the dramatic black diamond-shaped balloon to other FIJI Chapters featuring national events including the Rose Bowl, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby and the Indy 500 to promote its cause and its Charity.
The idea is to promote the tremendous difference being in a sorority and fraternity makes, not only for young people but for adults. According to the FIJI graduate literature, “Greek life develops leadership, fosters community awareness, philanthropy and begins a lifetime of responsible community participants. The FIJI motto is “Not for College Days alone.”
The Black Diamond balloon in its first year will be closely associated with Wounded Warriors. The Albuquerque, NM chapter has chosen the non-profit organization to be the recipient of its philanthropic outreach. The Fiji balloon will promote the Wounded Warrior emblem and ask for donations with 100% going directly to The Wounded Warrior Project at 855-488-3997.
Rainbow Ryders will be the official pilot of the Fiji Black Diamond and take the balloon on the road.
‘We chose Rainbow Ryders because they are the premier hot air balloon company in the world,” Corazzi said. “Not only are they one of the oldest firms, they are the largest and have the capacity to go everywhere we want to be.”
Balloon Fiesta is right around the corner! Plus, say “I do.” in a Rainbow Ryders hot air balloon! The NM Wine Festival in Bernalillo is coming soon!